Thursday, May 2, 2013

Schools: Are they really the key to success?

When I was young, I'd thought of becoming a detective. I probably watched too much movies. Then, in high school, I told myself that I want to be a great film director. I thought it was the greatest achievement that I might get in the future. Still, it didn't happen. Although my major professors said that I have a lot of potential to be one.

To my surprise, I became an On-line Teacher for Koreans. In 4 years of teaching, I'm very glad to know this certain student (that I won't mention the name.) 
One day, I asked her the most common question. "What do you want to be in the future?" Her answer impressed me.

"I want to be a teacher." she said, I replied, "Why?" 
"Because, I want to change Korean's perspective about education and about life."

I normally ask this question and get the same answer. But not the same reason.

She said, "Most Koreans believe that entering a very good school is the way  to succeed in life. If I become a teacher, I would encourage my students to work harder, and not to study harder. Having a good support system, love, and peace of mind would lead them to positivity. It would give them confidence to achieve their dreams, regardless of the school they choose to study. I don't believe that schools is they key to a bright future, but you yourself alone would decide where you want to go and what you want to achieve. Teachers and parents always tell us, that if we don't graduate from a very good university, we won't succeed in life. I know that I have to study hard and get into a very good school to be able to achieve my dream, but once I've done it, I will do my best to share and inspire students to become a better person than to be a good student alone. I want to be a teacher not because I want to teach; it's because I want to change people's lives. I want them to believe that schools don't decide for their future." 

After the discussion, I found myself thinking deeply, how shallow I am as a person.
What about you? Have you planned your future already? 

No comments:

Post a Comment